You Know You Grew Up in India in the 80’s and 90’s when…
5) You have some ‘NRI’ relatives.
6) You couldn’t wait for it to be December so you could have the Toblerone chocolates your NRI relatives brought you
7) You watched Cartoon Network, and then the late night movies on TNT that came after Cartoon Network ended.
9) You were THRILLED when McDonald’s opened in your neighborhood (or even eight kilometers away)
10) A visit to Pizza Hut used to mean a special treat
11) You have seen Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Hum Aapke Hain Kaun at least 5 times each
12) You still remember the theme song of Hum Paanch. (Hum Paanch, Pam Pam Pam Paanch!)
13) You have played hours upon hour of running and catching, chor-police, lagori, saankli, ‘Doctor, doctor, help us!’, ‘Lock and key’
14) You have seen girls play ‘Amina Super Sina’ more times than you can remember. (And you still don’t know what it means!)
15) Dog ‘in’ the bone was your favorite co-ed game.
16) Much of your free time in school was spent playing UNO.
17) You collected trump cards of wrestlers, cricketers, and airplanes, and did not quite understand why your younger siblings were obsessed with Pokemon and the other Japanese trends that followed.
18) Your summer vacations were often synonymous with visiting your grandparents or cousins
19) Your parents, at some point, told you ‘Dark Room’ was a bad game to play. But you still loved playing it.
20) Bole mere lips, I love uncle Chips!
21) You know the song ‘Made in India’ by Alisha Chinai
22) You have seen many many many episodes of ‘Antakshari’ on Zee TV and know the only thing constant in the show is Annu Kapoor.
23) Many evenings have been spent watching little kids gyrate vulgarly on Boogie Woogie on Sony.
24) You were the coolest thing in class if you had a computer in your house while it was still the 90s.
25) You learnt LOGO and BASIC in school!
26) You couldn’t wait to start 4th standard so you could start writing with PENS instead of with pencils!
27) You often used terms and phrases like ‘two-say’, ‘same to you, back to you, with no returns’, and ‘shame shame, puppy shame, all the donkeys know your name.’
28) You most probably saw Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge at the cinema at least once. You also fantasized about singing songs in mustard fields as in the movie.
29) You have seen David Dhawan and Govinda movies and laughed at them.
31) You have said ‘haw’ or ‘yuck’ when you saw people kissing in English movies. (nowadays kids are used to it!)
30) Titanic was your FIRST favourite english movie.
31) You thought seeing English movies and speaking English made you the coolest thing ever.
32) You remember the Gujarat earthquake very clearly and could possibly tell everyone EXACTLY what you were doing when the earthquake occurred (yes, this happened in 2001, January 26, 2001, to be exact — but this group is about the things that Indian kids that GREW UP in the 90s remember and identify with).
33) Barbies for girls, and GI Joes for boys were the ultimate status symbols. You just wanted more more more and more. And how can I forget Hot Wheels, for both boys and girls?
34) You thought ‘imported’ clothes were definitely way better than ‘made in India’ clothes (never mind that a lot of clothes brought from overseas by NRI relatives were actually made in India, before ‘Made in China’ started appearing on EVERY existing thing)
35) “Jungle Jungle Baat Chali Hai Pata Chala Hai! Chaddi Pehen Ke Phool Khila Hai Phool Khila Hai!” You watched “The Jungle Book” every Sunday morning at 9.a.m” and just loved mowgli, bhalu and bagheera. A few years later, you watched Disney Hour, which had cartoons like Aladdin, Gummy Bears, Tail Spin, Uncle Scrooge!
36) At some point or other, cool was your favourite, and therefore, most overused word.
37) Captain Planet was your first introduction to environmental consciousness.
38) You have tried to convince people around you to not burst crackers on Diwali, and then gone straight back home and burst them yourself.
39) You have had endless packets of Parle Gluco G biscuits, and of Brittania Little Hearts biscuits.
40) You loved licking off the cream from the centre of Bourbon biscuits.
41) There were no Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma- Bata and Liberty was the way to go for your sports shoes.
42) You have probably consumed more Frooti in your lifetime than there is oil in Iraq.
43) You watched Baywatch on Star World when nobody was home even though (or because) your parents said you shouldn’t watch it.
44) You bought packets of potato chips for the specific purpose of collecting Tazos. And you had Tazos depicting everyone from Confucius to Daffy Duck to Daffy Duck dressed as Confucius.
45) For the longest time, the Maruti 800, the Premier Padmini, THE Fiat, and THE Ambassador were the only cars you saw on the road, and the Contessa was cool because it was bigger.
46) You would literally jump up in excitement if you ever chanced upon an imported car (Oh my gosh, is that really a MERCEDES?)!
47) You spent a good part of 1998 drooling over the Hyundai Santro and the Daewoo Matiz , debating which one was better.
48) You used to Fuzen gum. You also chewed Big (big) Babool and/or Boom Boom Boomer chewing gum. They were bright pink and disgusting tasting, but you loved them for the temporary tattoos.
49) Talking of temporary tattoos, you sometimes had contests with your classmates about who had more tattoos on their arm, leg, knee, hand, forehead, wherever.
50) You thought Mario and Contra were the coolest things ever invented, especially if you were a boy.
51) You knew that having the latest Hero or Atlas bicycle would make you the coolest kid on the block.
52) You can imitate Sushmita Sen’s winning gasp to perfection.
53) You have, at some point of time, worn GAP clothes (real or fake) like SRK in KKHH.
54) Seemingly senseless acronyms like SRK, DDLJ, DTPH, KKHH actually make sense to you..
55) You have at some point debated who was more beautiful- Aishwarya or Sushmita.
56) Baskin Robbins ice-cream was THE thing to have!
57) You know what Campa Cola is. And you also knew that Coca Cola was THE drink.
58) You would watch WWF keenly every evening/afternoon and loved Bret Hart “Hitman”! really thought Undertaker had seven lives and he made an “actual” appearance in the Akshay Kumar- starrer Khiladiyon ka Khiladi.
59) When all backpacks (or ’schoolbags’) and water bottles and tiffin boxes had strange cartoon characters that were hybrid versions of seven or eight different characters, and you still bought them, because a green man wih a water pistol, boots, a jet-pack, Johnny bravo hair, a rajasthani mustache, gloves, and underwear (long johns) over his pants, called ‘Mr. X’ was OBVIOUSLY a status symbol.
60) You remember the Nirma tikia jingle.
61) You remember the Nirma girl.
62) You remember the ‘doodh doodh piyo glass full doodh’ ad and also the ‘laal kaala peela, gulabi hara neela classic hai badia bristles wala’ and ‘roz khao ande’ ads.
63) You grew up reading, if you read at all, some or all of Nancy Drews, Enid Blyton books, Hardy Boys, Babysitters Club, Animorphs, Goosebumps, Sweet Valley series, Judy Blumes, and Tintin, or Archie comics. Because naturally, reading foreign authors made you much cooler than reading Tinkle.
64) Towards the late 90s (1998-99) at least some of us started our Harry Potter obsessions!
65) You absolutely HAD to go to Essel World if you were with cousins! “Essel World mein rahoonga main, ghar nahin nahin jaaonga main!” (I never went but always dreamed of going there!)
66) You watched the Bournvita Quiz contest on TV pretty religiously. The smarter ones amongst you actually took part in it and had your entire school and your entire extended families watch you on it!
67) Maggi 2 Minute Noodles = ultimate snack (and tiffin, lunch, dinner)!
68) If you grew up in the early 90s, you recall the nation’s obsession with Mahabharata on TV
69) In the later 90s, you religiously followed Hip Hip Hooray on Zee. Maybe Just Mohabbat on Sony too
70) You remember parzan dastur sayin “JALEBI!!!!” in the Dhara Ad
71) You eagerly awaited Friendship Day, so you could give friendship bands to all your friends, and get bands from them in return. Then, of course, those with the most bands loved to show them off.
72) Backstreet Boys’ “Quit Playing Games” was one of the first english songs that you LOVED!
73) Andaz Apna Apna is and most probably will always be your favourite comedy flick!! “Aila Jhakaas!!!”
74) Cordless phones were uber-cool.
75) You know what Name, Place, Animal, Thing is!
76) This list made you smile.
#include “STD ISD PCO.h”
#define “Cute_ beautiful_lady.h”
if(lady ==Cute )
while( !reply )
printf(”I Love U”);
if(reply == “GAALI”)
main(); /* go back and repeat the process */
else if(reply == “SANDAL “)
else if(reply == “I Love U”)
lover =Cute ;
love = (heart*)malloc(sizeof(lover));
pay->money = lover->money;
kiss = kiss+1;
reason=(combinedstudy || projectwork ||
scanf(”100%”,&reply); /* “I Love U” already
stored in reply */
Finally… my CET gd/pi is over after a very long wait
Venue: Sinhgad inst of Mgmt (SIOM) ,Pune
Date: 17 May 2007
Time: 11:00 – 11:45
Reached ther at 10:50 am..gud enuff considering the inst. is 15 kms away frm main pune city and is situated atop a hill ..(literally)..had to walk atleast half a km on a zig zag hillway coz cars n bikes wernt allowd beyond a certain point..
Huffing n panting made my way in to the bful large campus…
Filled up a form ..its the same form whch is given here..signed my attendance on a sheet n then aftr 5 mins we wer calld for the GD
Out of a batch of 14 ,, 12 wer present…all guyz L
1 fella closely resembling john abrham (unshaven)came in wid his gf ! ha:
evry1 stares @ her..john to staff :can shee wwait here till my gdpi
staff: (wow..in mind) no not at all..no frnds allowd
In to the ACseminar hall..panel of 3 all male..middle age
The topics were :
1) Dotcom or Doubtcom (?? Wot was that)
2) Management like Swimming Cannot be Taught in a classroom through lectures (selected)
no time to think..start rite away
An oversmart guy stated that thee first topic wass fr engineers so v shd select the second one. (who said dot com is only fr engg?? Wot funda maan)
— Whispers —
The panelist then askd to raise r hands fr the second topic
Unanimously all hands (including my)went up.
All went good ..the gd took the turn of practical v.s theoretical..n I chipped in wid few points like dhirubhai –no mgmt teaching – reliance , 1 more exp of a person I knw etc etc .so practical more imp..though both go hand in hand…bla blah..
Only 2 ppl did nt speak ..n again d oversmart guy showd his motivational skills n askd that guy 2 speak.. he blurted out 3 -4 words..that nobody cud hear
The panelist then askd us to conclude in 1 min..
Then suddenly out of the blue.1 guy started in hindi ..agar ek chal raha hai aur ek gadi pe jaa raha hai..to koun jaldi pahuchega??
All of us wer too stunnd to reply
He smilled n said “joo gaadi pe hai woo”
Evry1 – WTF
He meant that an mba will give ua push in the job profile..(he later told me..coz was is the same panel as me fr PI)
All in all.. a decent healthy GD. No fish market
PI lastd fr abt 15 mins..
Panel of 2
P1 : Strict male
P2 : Not interested male
I: urs truly J
I: Good afternoon , sir
P1 ls take u r seat
P1 : profile frm n hall ticket
I: (gives it to him)
P1: Intoduce urself
I: blah ..blah..
P2: what is the full form of MESCOE( mycollg)
P1: what r qualities of a manager
P1: wots ur family backgrnd?
P2: so ur father is a mech engg?
I :yes sir
P1: ur B.E comp.. n IT field is happenin..so why dt u join s/w cmpny..boom…money
P2: so u a fresher?
P1: wot if u dnt get this yr?
I: job nw, mba next yr
P1: wot do u want to do after mba?
I: job exp..then entrepeunership
P1: wot did u discuss in GD?
I: mgmt cant b taught in collgs…….gyaan
P1: wot hobbies?
I:writin, blogging ,reading
P1: wot is blogging
I: I blog @ ~ ‘ ~ wElCoMe tO my insane world ~ ` ~
P1: wot u write in it, hw many visits? How long has it been
P1 to P2 : nethg u like to ask?
P2: No, u may leave
I: thank u sir
Soo it was a chillax interview..no need to worry.
Evrytgh ended in 2hours flat…startd at 11 n ended at 1
Soo dnt take tension..all will go well
everything said & done..now jus hoping for something gud on 10th june
bt I still thk LUCK plays a imp part in cet gdpi.
Hope this helps
Best of luck for those yet to give their gdpi
i will rest nw..